Re: Advice for Job Seekers

Subject: Re: Advice for Job Seekers
From: wlewis -at- nclogic -dot- com (Wendy Lewis)
To: "techwhirlers" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 14:03:37 -0400

Mark Baker wrote:
>The best way to handle this is to ask: "Tell me about a time that you had
an
>disagreement with your manager. What was the disagreement about and how did
>you resolve it?"

This question reminds me of a funny event at my last job. My manager and I
had a fairly close relationship. We even went as far as to take our families
on vacation together once. Anyway, I worked for, or along side, him for 10
years. We, of course, had our times of disagreement.

After one particularly gureling argument, we didn't speak for 3 or 4 days,
then he asked me to lunch. I thought "great it's finally over". As was one
of our customs, we took our sack lunches to a nearby lake where I have a
canoe docked. We usually took the canoe out into the lake and ate lunch
while floating amongst the ducks and fishermen. This day he had brought a
rather large sack lunch. After we were out in the lake, he pulled out a
fully loaded SUPERSOAKER 3000, or whatever. It was either take it or jump
into the lake. Either way I was going back to work WET. It further cemented
our friendship and remains a classic.

Wendy Lewis
NEC North Coast Logic, Ohio