FW: Making manuals, using Word (long)

Subject: FW: Making manuals, using Word (long)
From: Barclay Blanchard <BarclayB -at- txlink -dot- com>
To: "Techwr-L (E-mail)" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 16:10:51 -0700

There's a technique to using Word for large manuals
that I learned from a senior tech writer, and Woody
Leonhard has addressed the issue in some of his books
(Hacker's Guide to Word for Windows, which is taylored
to Word 6, I think... but the technique should work
anyway). I don't know of any templates (mine are on
diskette somewhere, in a box).

What I do is make separate files for each chapter,
for the TOC, for the frontmatter, and for the index
and any appendices.

The easiest way to paginate with this scheme is to
have chapter numbering (i.e., page 1-1, 1-2, 2-1,
etc.). But I have written also macros to paginate
consecutively.

In the TOC chapter, insert RD field codes (menu
bar, Insert->Field, select RD, and select the file
name) to cause Word to use the chapter, index, and
appendix files when it creates the TOC. Insert the
TOC (Insert->Index and Tables, etc.).

Do the same for the index.

I've also created macros to print the doc files.
The problem with distributing them is that they'd
have to be tweaked to include your directory
structure and file names.

Word's macro feature is fun; you can record your
actions and Word will create a macro from them,
and then you can tweak the macro.

I know that's a sketchy outline but maybe it will
give you an idea of how to start. I'd be glad to
send my templates and macros (after I move this
weekend!) if you want to look at them.

I'll be moving to FrameMaker soon (used it at my
last job) and will miss Word's macros. OTOH cross
refs, conditional text, and book assembly from
separate files are so easy in Frame. Cross refs in
Word from one file to another don't really work
(far as I can tell). Never did have to try to do
conditional text in it--I guess if you wanted that
you could create styles that would be hidden text
in one template and not hidden in another template.

Tables are more flexible in Word (IMO). But layout
is trickier. To get things placed where I want them
on a page, I often use text boxes. (To see the icon
for them, which looks like a page with a capital A
and some text, select View->Toolbars->Drawing.) The
trick to putting them where you want them is to
select "Draw" from the drawing toolbar, select Grid,
and make the horizontal and vertical spacing about
0.01". Then you can select Draw->Nudge->Up/Down/Right/
Left to move the text boxes around. The gotcha with
text boxes is that the text doesn't always show up in
spell checks and other places.

List numbering can mysteriously go berzerk (at least
it did so badly in Word 6 and 7 that I'll probably
never use it again; I was getting lists with numbering
like 1, 167, 168, 169 when I knew they'd been 1, 2, 3, 4
the last time I'd looked at the document). I use fields
for numbering lists: Insert->Field and select SEQ. I use
a style for the first item in a list (maybe called Step 1)
and another style for the following items in the list
(Step Next). Then I make a macro that I can use to apply
the Step 1 style to a paragraph and insert SEQ fields at
the beginning of the paragraph. For the first item in a
list, the SEQ tag gets a \r1 in it, to make the list
start with 1. (You can see the options for the SEQ field
by clicking on the Options button when you select Insert->
Field->SEQ; the \r option is on the Field Specific
Switches tab.) For the following items in the list, do not
use \r1. You can use Tools->Customize to make your own
menu on the menu bar and list your macros in it.

Here's the code for my step macros (which makes
the list numbers bold):

Sub Step1()
'
' Step 1 Macro
'
Dim FieldCode, StyleName As String
FieldCode = "SEQ Step\r 1"
StyleName = "Step 1"
AddStepNumAndStyle FieldCode, StyleName
End Sub
Sub Step()
'
' Step Macro
'
Dim FieldCode, StyleName As String
FieldCode = "SEQ Step"
StyleName = "Step Next"
AddStepNumAndStyle FieldCode, StyleName
End Sub
Sub AddStepNumAndStyle(FieldCode, StyleName)
'
Selection.Paragraphs(1).Range.Select
Selection.HomeKey Unit:=wdLine
Selection.Fields.Add Range:=Selection.Range, Type:=wdFieldEmpty, Text:=
_
FieldCode, PreserveFormatting:=True
Selection.TypeText Text:=vbTab
Selection.Style = ActiveDocument.Styles(StyleName)
Selection.HomeKey Unit:=wdLine
Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1, Extend:=wdExtend
Selection.Font.Bold = wdToggle
End Sub

Hope that helps some.