Re:Advice for Job Seekers

Subject: Re:Advice for Job Seekers
From: "Patricia Castin (Trish)" <pcastin -at- dset -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 07:31:20 -0500

Ruth Lundquist asked in a post for Interview stories...

I had one woman come into an interview who was wearing so much makeup, her eyelashes were sticking together. All through the interview she was constantly opening her eyes as wide a possible to "unstick" them. I was so fascinated by the contortions of her face that I was having trouble paying attention to her words!

I also have had the interviewees who corrected and re-worded my questions and statements. I had one who told me repeatedly how "great she was at communicating with others". She never let me finish a sentence, so she was always answering questions that I wasn't trying to ask. All I really wanted to say to her was, "Communication is not just you talking to someone else. It's also you being able to LISTEN to what's being said." I understand the "interview jitters", but this was not a newbie. She had Many Years of experience and should have known better...

On a positive note regarding interviews: Show the interviewer The Real You. I WANT to hire people with a sense of humor. If you don't have one, you can't play on my team... I had one interviewee recently that Would Not drop his "interview face". Since I couldn't see "the man behind the mask", I was naturally concerned about what he'd be like after the interview... To sum up: Be Yourself! Show 'em what you got and let it shine!

Trish Castin
Lead Technical Writer
DSET Corporation
908-526-7500 ext. 1333

"Lettin' the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier 'n putting' it back in."