Help with STC-funded Research

Subject: Help with STC-funded Research
From: Karla Saari Kitalong <kitalong -at- pegasus -dot- cc -dot- ucf -dot- edu>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 17:43:56 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Techwhirl-ers,

I'm posting the below announcement at the request of two colleagues
who have received research funding from the Society for Technical
Communication to conduct a study of the technological literacy practices
of professional technical communicators. If you decide to participate in
this research, please don't reply to me or to the list, but to Gail
Hawisher (hawisher -at- uiuc -dot- edu). Thanks for your attention.

kk
Karla Saari Kitalong U. of Central Florida
kitalong -at- pegasus -dot- cc -dot- ucf -dot- edu
Voice 407-823-6257 Fax 775-665-7949

Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 14:12:56 -0500
From: Gail E. Hawisher <hawisher -at- uiuc -dot- edu>

Dear Colleagues:
Cindy Selfe and I are writing to request your help. Recently, we have
received a grant from the international Society for Technical
Communication to complete a study of the ways in which professional
technical communicators acquired technological literacy-the ability to
read and write and communicate using computers during the years 1978-2000.
This project is an important one for the profession because no one has yet
identified the specific social factors (e.g., family background, home
literacy practices, economic status, access to technology, schooling
history) that affect practicing technical communicators' acquisition--and
development--of technological literacy. As a result, we have not always
been as successful as we'd like in designing academic or workplace
programs that teach technological literacy. Without the information this
project would provide, we really have little first-hand knowledge of how
to address the instructional needs of students with different kinds of
preparation.

Would you be willing to help us on this project by completing a
questionnnaire that details your own story of acquiring technological
literacy? The survey asks you to answer questions about your family's
literacy practices, your childhood and schooling, when and where you first
learned to use technology, how you use technology now in your work and in
your life. The questionnaire will take approximately an hour to complete,
and individuals' responses will be kept strictly confidential.

To indicate your willingness to participate, please email Gail at
hawisher -at- uiuc -dot- edu, and we will send you the URL and password for the
online form you can complete. When you finish the questionnaire, we will
send you a consent form which describes our plans for ensuring your
confidentiality.

Thank you for your time and, in advance, for your willingness to help out.
We know how busy everyone is and sincerely appreciate your generosity.

Our very best,

Gail Hawisher and Cindy Selfe

Gail E. Hawisher
Professor, English