Re: RE: best job market was:RE: SUMMARY: Looking for Contract Work

Subject: Re: RE: best job market was:RE: SUMMARY: Looking for Contract Work
From: "Moe Smith" <moesmith88 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 21:31:24 GMT

Funny that...I used to live in Vancouver and I ended up moving to the states (Seattle) to get a job, after getting fed up with dealing with those who claimed to be 'desperatly seeking' writers; but would postpone interviews, not return my phonecalls/e-mails and generally make themselves unavailable - while companies down here were beating my door in, wanting to hire me. And, I was more than willing to stay in Vancouver - that was my first choice. Granted, I'm making twice what my peers in BC are making, paying less taxes and generally having a better time.

Boy, I'm glad I'm NOT bitter, eh?

From: Darren Barefoot <dbarefoot -at- mpsbc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 11:07:29 -0700

Good morning,

Allow me to add Vancouver, BC, Canada to that list. I'm on the STC job bank
list here and we received about 40 postings for the month of March alone.
Maybe that doesn't sound like a lot, but there's only 3 million people in
Vancouver and only 200 in the STC here (of course, only a portion of tech
writers are in the STC). Furthermore, there are over 6000 high tech
companies in BC, and most of them are in the Vancouver area.

More anecdotally, I'm not actively seeking work (and really only have about
3 years experience and I'm a lousy networker) but have received two job
offers in the past four months. My colleagues report similar demand.

My two cents. Of course, I just noticed that the original poster indicated
the United States. Oh well, too late now. Come to Canada, watch hockey,
enjoy less crime and pay more tax. DB.