Re: how long Requirements

Subject: Re: how long Requirements
From: "Anthony Markatos" <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: Charter -dot- Tara -at- mayo -dot- edu, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2000 12:26:53 PDT

Tony Markatos responds to Tara Charter (below):

Currently, for software, two types of requirements documents are commonly being espoused by the "experts":

* End-user requirements: Commonly referred to as "A bucket of shalls". Typically, in the main, consists of written statements like: The system shall do X, and the system shall do Y. Rather extensive informational interviewing on my part reveals that few create this type of spec (even though a very good case can be made for the necessity of such).

* Software requirements specifications: Should be created from end-user requirements. Ideally, consist of (as necessary) data flow diagrams, entity relationship diagrams, transition state diagrams (each has an OO equivalent) AND LITTLE OR NO WRITTEN TEXT. However, this ideal seldom (if ever) happens, so the issue typically is: How much written text do we need to make the customer buy-in? Answer depends upon size of the system.

Note: There is no one-source on the web (or elsewheres) that discusses all of this.

Tara Charter asks:

Are your Requirements documents about 1/3 the size of your Specifications? How long does it take you to set up a Requirements document for a project? Have you found any useful reference material on the web????

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)