Re: The bottom line on professionalism in TW

Subject: Re: The bottom line on professionalism in TW
From: "Guy K. Haas" <ghaas -at- selectica -dot- com>
To: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 10:00:28 -0700

Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com wrote:

> This is against my better judgement, but I'll lay out just once my take on
> this alleged bottom line. "Fasten your seatbelts, we're in for a bumpy
> ride."
. . .

> Hard Truth (sorry, I'm fresh out of sugar-coating): Don't much care what
> you or anyone else on this list thinks of me. I care what the folks who pay
> me think of my work; what they think of me is a different question, as is
> what I think of them. I think of the man and the work as separate and
> distinct entities. Anything less would be unprofessional. I am a
> professional. The rest of the world can think what they like; they will in
> any case. I don't have the time or energy to do their thinking for them.

Well, Arlen, that's all well and good as long as you are not looking
for a job. If I am aware that <TWX> is a tech writer who contributes
regularly and carelessly to TECHWR-L, I might think twice about
reading <TWX>'s resume when it comes in.

Guy K. Haas
Senior Technical Writer / Software Exegete
Selectica, Inc.
E-Mail: ghaas -at- selectica -dot- com