Re: Importance of Technical Writing

Subject: Re: Importance of Technical Writing
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Sona Mehta <sona -dot- mehta -at- haysmt -dot- co -dot- uk>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 07:20:07 -0700 (PDT)

Sona Mehta asks the age-old question: "How do I try
and explain the importance of the work I do to a group
of non-receptive developers who think of TWs as
'glorified typists'?....I thought of giving a
presentation to the developers in my office, telling
them about TW in general. Any ideas?"

This list has had some creative ideas about how to
make presentations. I'm sure you can research the
archives about the infamous Peanut Butter Presentation
(about which I will say no more in deference to the
more sensitive among us on the list).

On the first question raised, I honestly don't think a
presentation will change anybody's mind. I'm
particularly leery of the idea that a presentation
will prove the worth of technical writing. The
approach I've always taken in a semi-hostile
environment is not to tell developers how important my
function is to them, particularly as this condition
usually occurs in places that haven't had good
experiences with TWs in the past, if they've had any
experience with TWs at all. I prefer to show them
where my benefit to them lies.

I'll take their glorified typing and use that as a
starting point. I'll ask questions about what the
information I've been given means. I'll ask for
graphics to add to the text. I'll offer suggestions
to make the text better; often I'll do this silently
and let them read the result. I'll work very hard to
make their lives easier and offer to do more than I'm
being asked to do.

Usually, I've been successful in proving that I add
some value to the overall effort. They may not change
their attitudes about TWs in general, but I've been
able to win developers over to the notion that I'm
more than a "glorified typist." From there I can
introduce them to other TWs who will also add value.

Hope that helps,

Tom Murrell

http://invites.yahoo.com