A network terminology question

Subject: A network terminology question
From: "Mark L. Levinson" <markl -at- gilian -dot- com>
To: TechWr-L <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 20:42:20 +0200

A question for any kind soul who knows about
NICs (network interface cards):

Suppose I am a computer at the periphery of
a small network. I have a NIC through which
I communicate with the greater network outside,
and I have another NIC through which I
communicate with the small network
inside.

Is it proper to refer to my two NICs as the
outbound and inbound NICs? Both of them
actually handle both outbound and inbound
traffic, but folks are telling me that
such is the terminology.

Mark L. Levinson
MarkL -at- Gilian -dot- com