RE: Query: "Quiesce"?

Subject: RE: Query: "Quiesce"?
From: "Brady, Joy" <JBrady -at- alldata -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 17:11:46 -0400

Bonnie Granat wrote:
"Have you heard of "quiesce" used as a verb?"

Yes, in the context with which I'm familiar (a DB2 database environment),
our batch jobs "quiesce" given tablespaces before and after extracting
information from them. From what I've been told, the quiesce stops access to
the tablespaces for the extract. Also, the quiesce utility takes a before
and after snapshot of the tablespaces, so that they can rollback to the
original version of the table if an abend (program error) occurs.

I imagine a similar concept applies in your subject.

Definition found at www.whatis.com:
"To quiesce is to put a computer, a program, a thread, or some other
computer resource into a temporarily inactive or inhibited state. A resource
that is in a quiesced state can be reactivated more quickly than one that
has been completely removed from the system. Typically, any descriptive
information about a resource that has been built by the system remains where
it is during the quiescence. The reverse of quiesce is usually unquiesce,
but reset and other terms are also used."

Joy Brady
Sr. SWAG Artist
Columbus, Ohio, USA