RE: The garden PATH (examples)

Subject: RE: The garden PATH (examples)
From: "krupp, marguerite" <krupp_marguerite -at- emc -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 09:24:41 -0400

I've got to jump in on this one because I've fought this battle so many
times.

Bottom line: As Mike West says, whatever symbolology you use, explain it in
the Preface. In several companies, we've used the ">" symbol (right angle
bracket) to show the flow. I find it helps to use a space before and after
the bracket for legibility. I wouldn't use the pipe symbol, though, since in
standard syntactical descriptions, the pipe (|) means "or."

Other possibilities include showing the actual cascading menu sequence in
pictures and using a decision table presentation. In the latter instance,
you identify each step in the left column and the result in the right
column, with the key items in bold. (Hard to show in an all-text format, but
we're writers, right?) The decision table format preserves the step-by-step
approach of the MSG without losing people in text. Of course, you could also
include the path (>) approach in the decision table (my preference).

So you'd have something like (this may look weird in something other than
monospace font):

Your action Result
------------ -------------
From the Edit menu, select Find. A second menu appears.

Select Files or Folders. A dialog box appears.

Enter the name ....

---------------- OR --------------------

Your action Result
Select one of the following: A dialog box appears.
* Edit > Find > File
* Edit > Find > Folder

Enter the name....

You get the idea. This is a great place for a usability test to determine
what works best for your users. It doesn't have to be elaborate. MY point
here, though, is that you DO have alternatives. Good luck!

Marguerite