RE: Writing for programmers

Subject: RE: Writing for programmers
From: "Kinsky, John" <jkinsky -at- filenet -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 08:45:11 -0700

I normally lurk in the effluvial depths of the list, but I had to respond to
this thread.

I agree with both Lydia and Michael. There is no substitute for learning how
to handle the programming language with skill, but acquiring programming
skill does not mean you have to become a developer.

I have been writing documentation for complex APIs for slightly over two and
a half years. In that time, I have had to learn - at least in part - C++
syntax and logic, Visual Basic, VBScript, JavaScript (ECMA), XML, and ASP
architecture just to produce useable sample code. I do not consider myself
to be a developer. I'm a writer, and I want to continue being a writer.

Learning what other writers did to make the similar material comprehensible
is only a small part of the making this particular type of documentation
work. This is not procedural documentation, and the level of abstraction
needed to connect the domains what can be done and why a developer should do
something a certain way is incredibly challenging.

Build a rapport with sympathetic developers. They are probably your best
resource in any project. Reference materials and books on programming
techniques are fine, as far as they go, but I have found that most of the
products I document more often deal with the exception rather than the rule
where programming is concerned.

In addition, you must develop two daily disciplines: (1) breath deeply every
morning before digging into the work. (2) Smile; it unnerves people.

John Kinsky