Re: Electronic Forms

Subject: Re: Electronic Forms
From: Rachel Campbell <rcampbel -at- pop500 -dot- gsfc -dot- nasa -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 17:18:19 -0700

Hi all...

I'm on the digest and this is the first time I've tried to post, so bear with me if I mess this up.

Anyway, I replied to Suzanne individually, but I thought others might be interested as well.

I would HIGHLY recommend that you look into Cold Fusion(tm) by Allaire software (www.allaire.com) for dealing with form submissions from the web. We use CF to write dynamic web sites, and to allow for information submission via the internet. This allows us to use the web to both gather and distribute SME knowledge-- without me as a middleman, so to speak.

Cold Fusion works as a middleware tool between the web and any ODBC-compliant source (anything from Excel/Access to SQL Server or Oracle database, or even flat files). You embed Cold Fusion syntax (very similar to HTML) within HTML templates with a file extension of .cfm. When the web server receives a .cfm request, it passes it off to Cold Fusion (the application server) which interprets the script. Cold Fusion then generates a standard HTML page, which it passes back to the web server. It sounds complicated, but actually happens very quickly.

Cold Fusion is very easy to learn. I am NOT a programmer... my background is a garden-variety English degree, and I taught myself to use Cold Fusion.

If you are attending the STC conference I'm giving a presentation/demo of the sites we've done, and an overview of Cold Fusion development. Or just check out the Allaire website. And if you have any questions, you can feel free to contact me.

(BTW, I am NOT affiliated in any way with Allaire, I just LOVE the tool!)

Best--

Rachel Campbell
Booz*Allen & Hamilton/
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center Code 588