Re: trusting one's sources

Subject: Re: trusting one's sources
From: John Wilcox <jwilcox -at- tcsi -dot- com>
To: Techwr-l List <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 09:18:10 -0700

Moe Smith wrote:

> and, this has a relevance to technical writing HOW? Did I miss something in
> the subtlety of the text?

None, if you never have to cite a source.

Justin Cascio wrote:

> This sounds like an example of what counts as "truth" or "fact" in a
> postmodern society. And as a matter of fact, Ben Franklin was well known for
> being rather silly on occasion.

Well, you and others have shown that one can still learn something new every
day. Guess that info got left out of my history books.

> I'd probably attribute your example quote to Eleanor rather than FDR, but
> wouldn't question it. And why do you use a sig line from someone you don't
> know of?

I like the quote, regardless of the author. Like the quote about beer would
have been funny to its intended audience even if someone besides Franklin had
said it.

--
Regards,

John Wilcox - Senior Technical Writer, TCSI Corp., Bothell, Washington USA
Sometimes you gotta create what you want to be a part of. -- Geri Weitzman