Re: Re. Decisions, decisions... whether to manage?

Subject: Re: Re. Decisions, decisions... whether to manage?
From: "Marc A. Santacroce" <epubs -at- ricochet -dot- net>
To: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 11:19:20 -0700

Geoff, interesting approach.

I guess I don't miss anything about management, but see it as an opportunity to give something back. In a region where companies are looking for 'Senior Technical Writers' with '2-3' years experience, I find management skills lacking in some of the companies I contract to. I guess I just think I can do it better.

Your analysis of tool selection is profound in its simplicity.

Just when I though I had my mind made up, you had to muddy the waters with logic.

I am still weighing my options.

Thanks,

Marc

To me, the main questions you need to answer are:
- What do you miss about management? Do you miss that enough to risk being
"burned out" again?
- What makes you think your skills are no longer competitive, or will soon
become that way? (My opinion: forget the tools vs. skills debate; so long as
you can write, you're a valuable employee. You can always learn the new
tools as you go. As the tools proliferate, pick the ones you prefer and that
will remain in demand, and focus your contracting efforts there. Leave the
new tools for the young'uns and stick with your strengths.)
- What benefits will the permanent position offer (e.g., medical coverage, a
pension) that you don't already have?

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Marc A. Santacroce
Senior Technical Writer,
ePubs, Inc.

I love it here;
..there's no where I'd rather be,
.....there's nothing I'd rather be doing,
........and no one I'd rather be doing it with.