Re: Managing Remote Workforces (Some URLs)

Subject: Re: Managing Remote Workforces (Some URLs)
From: Dianne Blake <write-it -at- home -dot- com>
To: Techwriter <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 12:42:50 -0700

Karen Wrote:
Has anyone out there taken or heard of courses on Managing Remote
Workforces? If so, could you post contact info and critiques?

=======

Although I don't know of any specific courses, you might want to check
these sites. They might be able to point you in the right direction. I
would be interested in this information too. Remote working has been a
side interest of mine for years.

The International Telework Association and Council may be able to
provide you with additional information. They even have a "Telemanager
Discussion Group" which I think would be exactly the source you are
looking for.

http://www.telecommute.org/

The California Department of Personnel Administration also has research
it does on telework/telecommuting. Here is a URL for a the most recent
telework study results that came out on April 5, 2000.

http://www.dpa.ca.gov/telework/teleresearch.shtm

Gil Gordon's site has been up since 1995. He has lots of resources and
is very well versed in the telecommuting subject. He presents at
seminars, has a newsletter, etc.

http://www.gilgordon.com/aboutsite.htm

California Institute for Smart Communities (this is the "newer",
"improved" version of telecommuting).

http://www.smartcommunities.org/cal/

European Digital Cities is a project that is attacking the technology
behind the move countries and "communities" forward into the remote work
arena. You can learn more about their project (for background material)
by visiting this address:

http://www.edc.eu.int/telecities/

As an aside, if you are also interested in remote learning possibilities
there is the Office of Learning Technologies that discusses the
technologies from the perspective of course developers, instructors, and
learners.

http://olt-bta.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/about/index.html

If you are looking for possible positions, or a place to submit ads for
telecommute positions, then try About.com:

http://telecommuting.miningco.com/smallbusiness/telecommuting/msub3.htm

I hope this is helpful. It is just the start of a long exploration.
You will find yourself wandering around for hours through all the links
that are on these sites and the sites they link to.

- Dianne Blake
write-it -at- home -dot- com