RE: Performance Appraisal Dilemma

Subject: RE: Performance Appraisal Dilemma
From: Caroline Briggs <carolinp -at- Exchange -dot- Microsoft -dot- com>
To: "'Brian Harris'" <blh -at- cyberscience -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 17:07:18 -0700

<I'm sorry, for a moment there I could have sworn you'd written "I need to
write my performance appraisal for my boss..." Maybe I'm living in a
different universe entirely, but isn't a) knowing what you have achieved
and b) appraising those achievements - part of your boss's job?>

Um, many companies, mine included, ask the employee to write their own
review, based on performance objectives they've worked out in advance with
their manager. The employee writes the first section, then the manager
completes the review, and delivers the final review, with score, bonus,
stock and raise info to the employee, who then signs it. Don't know who you
work for, but MS believes that the employee is responsible for their own
career growth and management, and writing performance objectives and reviews
is certainly part of that. Where the original poster seems to have gone awry
is in waiting 'til the review was due to establish goals, metrics, etc. That
ought to be in place (and mutually agreed upon by employee and manager) well
before review time.

Caroline