Re: Technical writing salaries

Subject: Re: Technical writing salaries
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 21:04:25 -0700

LenX Humbird wrote:
>If 3 years constitutes a "senior tech writer," then what does
that make a
>tech writer who has 10-15 years experience?

The terms "junior," "intermediate," and "senior" are almost
meaningless when defined in terms of years. People may have the
same number of years of experience, but they may have spent them
in very different ways. Writers who have spend three or four
years with the same company are likely to have less experience
than writers who have spent three or four years contracting and
working in a variety of environments. Similarly, writers who have
spend several years in junior positions are likely to lack the
experience of writers who have spent several years as lone
writers, in positions of responsibility.

And, if I remember correctly, the STC calls someone a senior
member if they have belonged for five years, regardless of how
much of that time they have spent working.

To paraphrase Trevanian, some people who claim to have twenty
years' experience really have only one years' experience repeated
twenty times.

The only way that these distinctions have any meaning at all is
in terms of what people have done - not how long they have called
themselves writers.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
"The Open Road" column, Maximum Linux

"Nevertheless, it moves" - Galileo on his deathbed