Layout program or markup language

Subject: Layout program or markup language
From: "F. Marc de Piolenc" <piolenc -at- mozcom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR List (posts)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 07:16:10 +0800

Subject:
Layout program or markup language
Date:
13 Apr 2000 14:21:13 +0200
From:
"Micaela Kayser" <Mica -dot- Kayser -at- topcall -dot- co -dot- at>

My problem is that the developers are currently writing the 100 to 500
page manuals in
Word an it just isn't getting the job done, too many bugs and surprises.
We all agree
that
we need to find another solution, but what?!

Dear Micaela,

I won't recommend a specific typesetting program because my experience
is not up-to-date. I started with Ventura Publisher in '86 and have
stayed with it since, but it is not the current, "sexy" program.

My GENERAL recommendation is to use a layout program that allows you to
preserve the original text as a separate file, and to make that separate
file ASCII (plain text). Word processors use proprietary formats, and
often fail to import files prepared by earlier versions of the same
program, or by current versions running on another platform. At least I
know that, even if my Ventura chapter files become unreadable, the text
is still there in a format that everything recognizes, and the
illustrations also exist as separate files in industry-standard formats.

Unfortunately, some layout programs import text, graphics and everything
else into one great big all-inclusive proprietary-format file, just like
a word processor. I know that Interleaf does this, so you will have to
investigate the program that you are thinking of using. Do not be swayed
by the argument that the layout program can "re-export" text - if the
file is unreadable, nothing can be exported from it!

Best,
Marc de Piolenc
Autodidactics
Iligan, Lanao del Norte