Help for PDF File Size Problem - Summary

Subject: Help for PDF File Size Problem - Summary
From: "Sunder, Vidya (CCA)" <V -dot- Sunder -at- compaq -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 17:14:14 -0500

The problem:
*"I created a single PDF using the Runfilex.ps file that comes
*with Acrobat.
*The problem is that the PDF file is very large (> 7 MB).
*Anything more than
*2 MB is not acceptable because users will be downloading the
*PDF file from
*the Web."
*
*
The solution:
One of the Word files that had about 30 BMPs was playing truant. I converted
the BMPs to GIFs. Did a File->Save As. This reduced the source file size
considerably.

Then I created the PDF using Runfilex.

In Acrobat, I selected File->Batch Process. In the Select Folder to Process
dialog, I chose the folder where my PDF files were located and selected
"Process all sub-folders" and "Optimize". This reduced the size of the PDF,
but the reduction in size was only about 10K. The entire PDF file was about
648K.

Thanks a lot to all those who responded.

Vidya