RE: Negotiation questions

Subject: RE: Negotiation questions
From: salatas <salatas -at- micron -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 08:18:20 -0600

anonfwd wrote:

>Her immediate concern is: is it worth negotiating for more pay since the
combined total of the salary and bonus equals about the average for the
area?

>Her secondary concern is negotiating for time to start. She can't rent
because she has pets, but she won't be able to close on a house for at
least 60 days.

Response:

I don't see what she has to lose by presenting a counter-offer for a higher
starting salary. I agree with the posters who pointed out that right now,
she is in the strongest position she will ever be in as far as negotiating
for money.

As for the pet situation, you didn't say where your friend is moving, but I
have moved with pets many, many times. My last dog was over 100 pounds. It
takes a lot of phone calls to find an apartment that will take a 100-pound
dog, but it is possible. If your friend is buying a house (as we always do),
tell her to contact real estate agents now, and ask them to find her a
temporary apartment that takes pets. If they want her business (and they do)
they will pull strings. There are many "corporate suite" businesses now that
specialize in temporary apartments for relocating business people.

Best of luck to your friend.

Salette Latas
salatas -at- micron -dot- com