Re: FWD: Negotiation questions

Subject: Re: FWD: Negotiation questions
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 08:03:52 -0700 (PDT)

The following advice is worth what you're paying for
it, but these are things I've learned over the years
of negotiating for a job.

<soapbox>
Never take a lower salary than what you can live with.
"We'll make it up to you at your first review," ranks
right up there with "The check is in the mail," and
"We're from the government; we're here to help." Once
you accept a given rate of pay, you will basically
stay there with COLA raises even as your Performance
Report glows.

Everything is negotiable. If they tell you otherwise,
they will be less than truthful about other things as
well.

Never fall in love with a job before you have it. If
you believe HR people and hiring managers too much,
you probably believe commercials on television, too.
Be skeptical.

If you still need/want a job even though much of what
you have been promised is in the future, get the
promises in writing. If I had a nickel from everyone
who told me they were promised a raise in six months,
I wouldn't need this job. If the prospective employer
won't put promises in writing, they're telling you
that they already know they're not being truthful.

Verily, verily I say unto you: you will learn more
about a future employer in the negotiation process
than you will in all the interviews in the world.
There are lots of good jobs with good employers out
there. Don't sell yourself short; you can never make
it back up.

</soapbox>

=====
Tom Murrell