RE: editable help systems

Subject: RE: editable help systems
From: "Hyde, Barb # IHTUL" <Barb -dot- Hyde -at- tulsa -dot- cistech -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 08:46:25 -0500

Hi Cathleen,
A word to the wise:
Another disadvantage of using annotations is that if you ever send these
clients an updated Help file, they will lose the connections between the
Help file and their custom annotations. For reasons unknown, Microsoft
attaches annotations to the offset address of the topic title, not to the
context string or the title itself. When a new help overwrites the annotated
Help, all the connections are gone. In most cases, the .ann file still
exists as a text file in \windows, but that's all that's left of their
carefully annotated system.

We update our programs and Help a couple of times a year and were bit big
time with this gotcha. Now we do not recommend annotating to our customers.