Re: Word: Pagination Question

Subject: Re: Word: Pagination Question
From: Jeff Hanvey <jewahe -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: esprague -at- kemperinsurance -dot- com
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 08:32:09 -0700 (PDT)

Elizabeth Sprague wrote:

>page X of Y pagination in the footer appears
> to be stable when applied
> from either the toolbar or Insert | Page numbers
> but, upon opening the document
> after saving and closing, will appear in a fifteen
> page document, for example,
> as Page 1 of 1, page 2 of 1... repeating as Page 2
> of 1 for several pages.
> Pagination then falls into consistency - but the
> numbers are still wrong in
> actuality - by about page 10.
<snip>
>Nothing has prevented the problem from
> reappearing when the documents
> are opened after saving and closing.
>
> Ideas?

The way I've always handled this problem is:

1. Wait until I've finished the document to insert
page numbers.
2. Note the final number of pages in the document (or
section, or whatever),
3. Insert the page number where I want it to be
located,
3. Double click on the page number to highlight the
text box,
4. Manually add the "of y" part of the numbering
system, and
5. Adjust the text box so that the numbers appear on
one line (accounting for increasing length of the
numbers).

It's a dirty method, but I rarely have problems with
the autonumbering creature.

>(Heavy weapons are not an option for at
> least another few months.)

If you're going to be using Word regularly, I'd invest
in a few now.

=====
Jeff Hanvey
Memphis, TN