Re: FWD: Purchasing software as an independent contractor

Subject: Re: FWD: Purchasing software as an independent contractor
From: "Elna Tymes" <etymes -at- lts -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 12:30:29 -0700

anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com wrote:

> Do you purchase all the
> software you need to complete projects for clients, or does the client
> provide some or all of it for you? If you do purchase the software
> yourself, do you take this into consideration when you give your hourly
> rates?

In most cases, the client provides us copies of the software they want us to
use, unless we already have it. In some cases, however, it makes sense for us
to buy the software and have our own copies. In those cases, we foot the bill
for the software. HOWEVER, we usually find ways to recover our costs - time
spent installing software that has to be used for a client project is, of
course, billable, as is time spent reading the manual, etc.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems