Re: Translation services

Subject: Re: Translation services
From: Chris Kowalchuk <chris -at- bdk -dot- net>
To: "Rice, Joseph" <Joseph-Rice -at- sonoma-systems -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 13:34:36 -0400

My company does a fair bit of this type of work, but with English/French
as opposed to Spanish. Since we are ourselves contractors, we tend to
sub-contract out very specific parts of the work. Thus, to our
translator, we send the most stripped-down, text-only file that we can,
and he gives it back to us in a similar format (something like RTF or
maybe Word or WordPerfect)--no more complex than is necessary to allow
the foreign characters and special marks/punctuation. We also send a
formatted hard copy of the original for the translator's reference. This
can be especially important in a "highly designed" layout, where text
overlays graphics, or stands on its own (apart from the main body of the
document, if there is one) in margins, or text boxes or footnotes etc.
because the translator will need to understand the context in which this
or that text blurb appears.

We then handle the layout ourselves (usually, if the layout is fairly
straightforward) with the text we get back from the translator. We
happen to speak some approximation of French, so we are not at a
complete loss when formatting French text. If you are in the US, I
should think you ought to be able to find a graphic artist or layout
person who also knows at least enough Spanish to understand the text.

Once we have done the layout, we usually have our translator(s) review
the document again to make sure we haven't done anything stupid. This
means you have to pay the translator twice, but the editing pass is much
faster/easier than the translation, so it does not represent a large
additional expense.

Obviously this process suits the "boutique" style operation that I
happen to run. My business is essentially a loose association of
sub-contractors whom we bring together for specific projects, which I or
my partner manage (and do some/much of the work on ourselves). Our
translators are very skilled but flexible people, so they are happy with
the sort of arrangement mentioned above. If there are questions of
localization, we also try to have a representative of the target
audience (assuming they are friendly to the project or our clients) give
the final product a read as well, to make sure nothing offends them or
strikes them as bizarre. We can also trust our usual translators to tell
us when they don't think they can handle a job. They are often able to
recommend someone who can.

At some level, you must establish a relationship with vendors you can
trust. In your case, it could be a company like ours, which takes your
original and hands you back a finished product--you worry about nothing
but the price. Or if you want to take on the role of managing the
translation/re-layout process, then you have to have a good relationship
with both your translator and graphics people. If you don't know how to
find good translators etc., then you might want to go with one of the
"big" translation/localization services companies, and put your trust in
their size and desire to maintain their reputation to ensure the quality
of their work. Myself, I prefer to establish long-term business
relationships with specific individuals, but I am aware that not
everyone can operate that way, especially in larger, more structured
organizations.

Hope this has been of some use.

Chris Kowalchuk