Re: Was "Spelling & Grammarchecker Use Survey"

Subject: Re: Was "Spelling & Grammarchecker Use Survey"
From: "Guy K. Haas" <ghaas -at- selectica -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 13:20:43 -0700

joanne grey wrote:

> Brad Mehlenbacher wrote:
>
> > *This survey is for Microsoft Word users*
>
> Going back a few years, but here is one of my favorite silly stories.
. . .

> In writing a User's Guide for a wonderful piece of (now obsolete)
> software, I was defining all the customization options available. These
> were accessed via a series of property sheets. Unfortunately, that day
> my brain was faster than my fingers, and I typed "property sheep"
> instead.
>
> Since "sheep" is a legitimate word, the spell checker sailed right past
> it. So did the three reviewers.
>
> Thank goodness the final reviewer caught it and was quite curious about
> how you would open one of "them thar property sheeps".
>
> It was after that that I began using spell checkers as just one tool and
> not relying on them too much. I also took "form" and "from" out of the
> dictionary, so that it can't find them and checks with me for those,
> too.

Word at least provides that ability. Last I heard, there was no way
to remove a word from the base dictionary provided with FrameMaker.
In object-oriented programming, there is a concept of names being
private or public (among others), and the spell checker would never
notice if you type "pubic" in place of "public."

--Guy K. Haas
Senior Technical Writer
Selectica, Inc.
E-Mail: ghaas -at- selectica -dot- com
Internet: www.selectica.com
Phone: (408) 545-2514 Fax: (408) 570-2167