LST>Re: A or An?

Subject: LST>Re: A or An?
From: "Lee Tesdell" <ltesdell -at- eai -dot- com>
To: "Jeff Hanvey" <jewahe -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 13:16:22 -0500

Here's the opinion of Brusaw, Alred, and Oliu, (St. Martin's, 1996, 299):

"The choice between a and an depends on the sound rather than the letter
following the article. Use a before words beginning with a consonant sound
(a person, a happy person, a historical event). Use an before words
beginning with a vowel sound (an uncle, an hour). With abbreviations, use a
before initial letters having a consonant sound (a TWA flight). Use an
before initial letters having a vowel sound (an SLN report)."