RE: Strategy when dealing with HR depts.

Subject: RE: Strategy when dealing with HR depts.
From: Chuck Martin <CMartin -at- serena -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 11:18:52 -0700

Unless this is an entry level position, 65k is already too low for the Bay
Area, even up in Santa Rosa. HR people are there to speak for the company,
and their sole goal is to get you to work for as cheap as they can get you
for.

If you're good at what you do, tell them that a lower salary isn't
acceptable. If they don't know your worth in this market, then it's their
loss. And if the key people want you but find out that HR isn't willing to
pay what you're worth, then either the key people will step in and make sure
you're gotten at an appropriate salary, or the key people will realize that
they're getting underpaid and take a hike elsewhere themselves.

Just to provide an extreme example of the current market, I'm told that a
contractor was recently hired at a high-profile SiliValley company for a
very specialized, highly technical position, at a rate of $135/hour.

Don't "live with" less than you're worth. You won't be happy doing so, and
you'll never get what you're worth once you're in the door.

--
"I don't entirely understand it but it is true: Highly skilled carpenters
don't get insulted when told they are not architects, but highly skilled

Chuck Martin, Sr. Technical Writer
cmartin -at- serena -dot- com

are addressed. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution
is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
message.