Calling all the What's This? Help Composer Gurus

Subject: Calling all the What's This? Help Composer Gurus
From: "Skilton Katherine (ism1kns)" <KSkilton -at- ismd -dot- ups -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L (E-mail)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 16:59:34 -0400

Hi All -

A writer in our group is having two rather pesky problems with Version 2.0
of the RoboHelp What's This? Help Composer.

We have a large application that we're writing both regular and What's This?
help for.

Problem #1:

In 2 topics (out of about 100 or so), if we click on the "Done" button in
that window and want to write a description of the button in a dialogue
box...we write the description and then compile. The changes are not saved.
The description reverts back to what it was before the change and before we
compile. This happens no matter what view we are in. It also does not happen
for every field/button on the window. It happens to a button or two on each
window. It only happens in these two topics.

Problem #2:

If we try to use the Active Test button in the What's This? Composer, it
opens the software application we're writing the help for. There is a
progress bar in this application, telling us what percentage of the "open"
progress we're at. When it gets to about 97% complete, we get a Dr. Watson
error. The application crashes, but the Help Composer does not. So, the only
way we can test the help file is by dropping it into the correct application
directory and restarting the application.

We have tried contacting RoboHelp, but they have provided less than helpful
suggestions. We also tried generating a new "test" help file to see if the
Active Test worked for that. It did. The problem is that this is a rather
extensive help file. Is there an easy way to copy all the information from
this help file to a new, "clean" file?

Has anyone ever encountered either of these problems?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Kate Skilton
United Parcel Service