Documentation Size & Shape Question

Subject: Documentation Size & Shape Question
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 14:24:53 -0700

Brad Mehlenbacher <brad_m -at- unity -dot- ncsu -dot- edu> wrote:

>A very creative student of mine has been conducting research on
>principles for choosing the size, shape, binding, and outer
>appearance of manuals, documentation, and user's guides but,
>surprisingly, is having difficulty coming up with any research or
>guidelines on the topic.
>
>Can anyone suggest any books, articles, or websites that she might
>look at to give her some help with the topic.

I suggest Robert Bringhurst's "The Elements of Typographical
Style" and Jan Tschichold's "The Form of the Book" for
information about the classic dimensions used by typographers.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
"The Open Road" column, Maximum Linux

"He in a new confusion of his understanding,
I in a new understanding of my confusion."
- Robert Graves, "Broken Images"