Re: Publishing Books Online

Subject: Re: Publishing Books Online
From: "Steven J. Owens" <puff -at- netcom -dot- com>
To: rheath -at- eGain -dot- com
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 14:33:58 -0700 (PDT)

Robert Heath writes:
> However, the books he publishes online are typically in draft form. For
> example, the version of Thinking in C++ on his website differs significantly
> from the final, hardcopy version.

I can't reply specifically to Thinking in C++, but I don't think your
general conclusion is accurate. Eckel keeps copies of the draft book
online while working on it (his website currently has copies of TIJ1
as well as draft copies of the second edition under development now).
He also updates the online copy as he progresses. The specific
handling of Thinking in C++ may have been different from Thinking In
Java (his comments about TIJ indicate that it was an experiment of
sorts, from the publisher's point of view).

Steven J. Owens
puff -at- netcom -dot- com