RE: lone writer and Source Safe

Subject: RE: lone writer and Source Safe
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "'Brian Clements'" <bclements -at- fpix -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 10:43:44 -0400

It's necessary if you are archiving the entire history of the project, as
well as the doc files being backed up in more than one place. We use Source
Safe, and I'm one of three lone writers (one per product). It helps prevent
people from making changes who shouldn't (not that they would purposely, but
accidents happen), and labeling and pinning allow us to know what was
changed when. Anytime someone wants to know what code and/or help files
looked like for a particular build or release, they can view it using VSS.

In my experience developers are about as infatuated with Source Safe as TW's
are with Framemaker :). If you've ever lost files due to PC crashes, or
somebody mucking about where they shouldn't, you probably know that backup
and archiving is essential. Source Safe is a good tool for this.

MTC

Connie Giordano