Bullets, numbers, ego conflicts

Subject: Bullets, numbers, ego conflicts
From: "Alex Silbajoris" <alsilba -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 12:25:51 PDT

Subject: Bullets vs. Numbers
From: "Stephen C. Gillespie" <sgillespie -at- fedex -dot- com>

I had a job in a strife-filled office a few years ago, and this question of bullets vs. numbers came up there. We had documents with as many as 20 or more bullet items on a page in some cases. These were not sequential like a series of steps; they were suggested features or potential risks.

In review meetings, I would have a question on, say, bullet 17, and everyone around the table would count down the list with their pen tips (the smart ones didn't move their lips *G*)

I suggested that we number the line items, and the idea was shot down because assigning numbers suggested ranking and setting priorities. Sigh. That was when I realized that every line item in the document was the result of clashing personalities and differing approaches to the problem. The documentation suffered because it accurately reflected the divisiveness and conflicts festering among the writers and editors.

I left that job, and as far as I know, that company never did succeed with the project the documentation covered.

- A