Re: Slow Down Development, NO; Speed up Minds, YES

Subject: Re: Slow Down Development, NO; Speed up Minds, YES
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 13:36:53 -0700

"Dave Whelan" <dave -dot- whelan -at- home -dot- com> wrote:

>>For commercial software, the dilemma is that the client won't pay the price
>>needed to assure bug-free software.
>
>This seems to be the conventional wisdom but I think we need to question
>this assertion. If clients were offered a choice between two versions of the
>same software, one that worked properly and one that didn't, do you think
>they would choose the dysfunctional version, even at a substantial discount?

What about a version that was buggy, but delivered three months
earlier? As in Hollywood, so in the software business: people
don't want it good, they want it Thursday.

I suspect that many companies decide on releases using an
insurance model: will it cost more to fix the software, or to
provide technical support for the current bugs? If fixing costs
more, then the release goes ahead.

There's also many areas that need improvement but never get it
because customes won't pay more for a good feature. Many devices
and drivers fall into this area. For example, where are the
reliable translation filters for common word processing formats?

>No, the phenomenon of the acceptance of crappy software is a temporary one,
>I am sure. Eventually, software is going to lose its mystique and will have
>to comply with the bargaining standards to which everything else is subject.

One solution that is already happening is the open source
movement, in which people are writing their own corrections to
existing software, and their own alternatives to existing
software. For example, there is already a reasonably professional
graphics program (The GIMP), and free alternative sto
PartitionMagic (GNU Parted and Diskdrake). One of the arguments
pushed by the Open Source Initiative is that freely available
code means a larger pool of programmers, which means that bugs
are found and corrected faster than in proprietary methods.

I'm not sure that's entirely true - I've seen some very quick

Another solution seems to be forming around The ClueTrain
Manifesto (www.cluetrain.com), which advocates an end to
conventional marketing and a more open, honest relation with
customers.

Still, whatever the solution - hurry the day!

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
"The Open Road" column, Maximum Linux

"He in a new confusion of his understanding,
I in a new understanding of my confusion."
- Robert Graves, "Broken Images"