RE: font sizes for HTML help (was Re: Verdana 8 for HTML Help or WebHelp)

Subject: RE: font sizes for HTML help (was Re: Verdana 8 for HTML Help or WebHelp)
From: "Lois Patterson" <lois -at- dowco -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 15:51:57 -0700

This is true from a purist, ideological point of view, and I even agree on
some level. It may be that what I'm doing doesn't deserve to be called HTML,
but that's okay too.

From a practical standpoint, I would guess that >90% of users never, ever
change their browser font size. Acrobat still has numerous limitations from
the standpoint of being a good online help option. So I just have to do the
best I can to reach the > 90% (my guess) of users who will just use the
defaults. Given some of the other requirements of the system I am
documenting (it will require Windows NT or 2000 and it will require an 800 x
600 or greater screen resolution), I think it's safe to design the help from
the point of view of what will look good at 800 x 600 on a
reasonable-quality monitor.

Lois Patterson

[snip]