FM6 upgrade

Subject: FM6 upgrade
From: "Bob Goulder" <tipi -at- islandnet -dot- com>
To: <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 19:14:49 -0700

I am looking to you T-Whirlers out there to give me some feedback on a
decision that I have to make regarding what FM 6 upgrade to go for. First
some background. I have 2 licences for FM 5.5.6 for the Mac Platform and I
also have a PC which I used for some other contract work ( a needless
purchase actually as the program it was bought for does actually run under
Virtual PC OK but, I was discouraged by the software company in using it -
anybody want to buy a PC). So with the advent of FM 6 and WWP, XML etc,. I
am at a crossroads as what to do to get the best out of the FM 6 upgrade.
All of my clients use Win/NT OS, I prefer the Mac environment and I have
never had any problems creating FM docs on a Mac and transferring them to a
Win/NT platform. In fact, seeing all the problems some people encounter
with the Win/NT environment, especially with distiller and PDF, I am very
happy to be a FM/Acrobat Mac User. That said, it is not an invitation to
start an verbal OS war. Enough blurb - I guess my real concern is making
the most of the WWP that ships with FM6. As TW, I have had many clients
looking to go web based with their FM docs. So, the questions are:

Is the Mac version going to be the same or do we Mac guys get a lite version
with the plugins to follow - shades of the Adobe Acrobat 4.0 fiasco!

Does anyone else run FM for Win on VPC? If so, how does it perform and is
anybody (at this early stage of the FM6 upgrade) using, used or going to use
FM6 on VPC?

Is anyone using VPC 3.0? If so, it worth the upgrade if your are not using
Mac OS9?

By the way, I do not intend to keep my PC - a new G4 Mac and OS X is going
to take its place at a later date.

I await your usual well-thought and inspirational responses

TIA

Bob Goulder

Techniflex Industrial Publications Inc
236, Richmond Ave,