RE: Large Document Software Tools Recommendations

Subject: RE: Large Document Software Tools Recommendations
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "'Leary, William'" <wleary -at- laquinta -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 16:43:40 -0400

How about using FrameMaker to create PDF for online distribution of
printable documents and WebWorks Publisher Professional version 6, as you
point out for the online help. Nothing else needed.

<snip>

> Our company needs to put large documents (i.e. hundreds of pages and up)
> online, and I have been assigned to find the tool(s) for the job. The
> documents will mainly consist of standard operating procedures, which are
> table-heavy documents that they would like to have indexed, and accessible
> via tables of contents that should be able to be generated automatically.
> As
> well, the tool(s) need to be able to generate print-ready documentation,
> as
> well as HTML output.
>

> I just wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations on a tool other
> than
> FrameMaker with WebWorks. I've never used either, however from my
> research,
> it appears like this is the ideal solution for our needs. However, is
> there
> any other tools we should take a look at? I've checked out Quark XPress
> white papers, and don't see much on it's web ability, though read many
> posts
> that talk about its ease of use over Frame. Didn't see hardly anything on
> Ventura. Read some posts about Interleaf, but saw some people talking
> about
> it's unwieldiness, which sort of made me apprehensive. Then checked out
> the
> web site and was a bit confused. (It's a family of products, I take it?)

All of these tools can get you to the web. In short, I find Quark useful for
smaller, less structured documents, like marketing and newsletter, etc.. I
find Ventura to offer a tonne of glitz, more so than FrameMaker, but it has
been very unstable in my experience. I have not used Interleaf, recommend
you look at it, see how prevalent it is, and evaluate its cost versus
benefits.

Best regards from a FrameMaker + WWP user.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com