Attaching Templates to Word Documents WAS RE: Re Word/Weird

Subject: Attaching Templates to Word Documents WAS RE: Re Word/Weird
From: jknebel -at- ospreyus -dot- com
To: bgranat -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 08:00:13 -0400

There is one thing you might want to try. We recently discovered this, ahem,
feature when standardizing 1600 pages of user documentation using one new
template. (All of the original documents were in Word)

Rather than inserting the old document into the new template, try attaching
the template to your existing document.

Tools > Templates and Add-ins
You get the template and add-ins dialog box
Under Document Template, click on Attach...
You get the attach template dialog box
Locate the template you want to apply to the document, select it and click
on Open
This takes you back to the Template and Add-ins Dialog Box
Click on the box next to Automatically update document styles to select it
Click on OK

If the document that you are attaching this to uses styles, they should
update to the new template styles.

I've been wanting to document this "feature" for a couple of weeks now, and
you gave the excuse to do so!

Thanks!
Jhan

Jhan A. Knebel
Technical Writer, Enterprise Management Solutions
Osprey
jknebel -at- ospreyUS -dot- com (704) 943-7950
http://www.ospreyUS.com