Re: FrameMaker + SGML

Subject: Re: FrameMaker + SGML
From: Dan Emory <danemory -at- primenet -dot- com>
To: Techwrl-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 11:46:56 -0700 (MST)

At 10:41 AM 5/3/00 -0700, Bob Goulder wrote:
>I have just ordered FM6 + SGML upgrade for Mac. I have been a long time
>user of FM4 through 5.5.6 but, never used SGML. I decided to go with SGML
>to add another skill to my TW repertoire. I have a little knowledge about
>it, mainly through you guys on the list. Can anyone tell me of any books or
>good sites where I can get SGML information. Also, anyone know if there
>are any FM +SGML courses in British Columbia, I would consider going to WA
>too. I would also like to hear opinions, etc., from any users of FM +SGML
>and of the industries/companies that it is are used in.
The first thing you need to do when you get the upgrade is print out the
500+ page Developer's Guide (an on-line manual). You can't really use it
properly until it's printed out. The Developer's Guide is the bible, since
the printed user manuals are absent almost any relevant information about
structured documents and exporting them to XML or SGML. You should also look
for a good book on SGML and/or XML.

It also helps to carefully examione existing EDDs and DTDs. The only ones
that come with the product are for Docbook, which is hardly a paradigm.
Nevertheless, it's a start. When you feel you've got some understanding of
the design concepts, try creating a very simple EDD (including format
rules), create a DTD from the EDD, and create an import/export application
for this EDD/DTD combination. Then, create some simple structured documents
using your EDD, validate them, correct any anomalies, and export them to
SGML. It's likely that you'll get a raft of error messages the first time
you try it. Most of these error messaes are hypertexted. Understanding the
meaning of these errors and successfully correcting them is when you really
begin to learn what's involved.

You might be interested in a paper I've written on the subject of FM+SGML
design. Go to

http://www.microtype.com.

When the home page opens, click on the Resources link, and scroll down to
the title "Links to Tutorials and Articles". There are about 6 of my
articles listed there, one of which is "FrameMaker+SGML Information Design."
Its a half-megabyte 23-page PDF file produced from a structured FM+SGML
document I wrote, using an EDD of my own design. The last several pages of
that document also have a discussion of XML.

When you've gotten that far, you'll probably have enough understanding to
take a formal course. That's expensive. Nancy Shroer
("NANCY LEE SCHROER" <nschroer -at- aol -dot- com>) is one of the best instructors around.
| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
Voice/Fax: 949-722-8971 E-Mail: danemory -at- primenet -dot- com
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646
majordomo -at- omsys -dot- com with "subscribe framers" (no quotes) in the body.