Solved - FrameMaker problem

Subject: Solved - FrameMaker problem
From: Abby_Schiff -at- factset -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 14:21:23 -0400

Hi,
Last week I posted a plea for help for a FrameMaker printing problem. Just
wanted to let you know that I found a workaround -- albeit a somewhat
wacky/kludgy one -- that worked.

After much troubleshooting, I isolated the problem to the first page of the
FrameMaker file AND the Univers Condensed 47 and 57 fonts. (I could
replicate the problem even when creating a new .fm file from the template I
was using.) So, I saved the template under a new name, modified all the
Paragraph Styles appearing on the *first* page to use Arial instead of
UnivCond, saved the template, and created a new .fm file from the new
template. Then I retyped the material from the first page of the original
file into the first page of the new file, copied & pasted the subsequent
pages into the new file, and finally restored the fonts for the Paragraph
Styles back to UnivCond. Not the most elegant solution, but it works and
is fairly quick.

Many thanks to all techwrlers who responded to my plea, in many cases going
above & beyond the call of duty and offering to help troubleshoot. Extra
special thanks go to Sean Brierley, who was very helpful in testing the
files and suggesting possible workarounds.

Original e-mail pasted below. Thanks again everyone!
Abby Schiff
FactSet Research Systems Inc.

<<Original Post:
I have a multi-chapter .book file. Most of it is printing fine. But for two
individual chapters, the text in the FIRST page of each respective chapter
does not print. (The text/cross-refs on the Body page don't print -
however, the thumb-tab, which is on the right Master page, prints. It's a
blank page with a black thumb-tab.)

I've tried copying the text on the page to a new file; that prints fine.
When I paste it back into the file, same problem. I've tried different
printers. I've tried the FrameMaker online help (it's abysmal).

Curiously, the little pink status-bar that 'fills up' when I'm printing
appears briefly when I'm printing JUST the offending page, but it doesn't
'fill up,' it just disappears. If I'm printing any other single page, the
status bar fills up as it prints, albeit quickly. (Therefore, FM is hardly
sending any data to the printer??)>>