Re: Bilingualism in TW

Subject: Re: Bilingualism in TW
From: "JG" <johng -at- pagic -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 10:34:28 +0800

From: Dave Neufeld
> Many years ago I was told I could make allot of money by working in Taiwan
> as a technical writer. After asking about the work environment (5.5 to 6 >
days a week) and about entertainment lifestyle (shopping, movies, visiting a
> city park) I decided that my laid-back outdoor narcissistic necessities
> would not be met in Taiwan.

I work in Taiwan as a technical writer but it sure isn't for the money.
Monthly salaries range from 1, 600 to 2,300 USD per month although there may
be performance bonuses as well as a Chinese New Year bonus which could be
anything from between 1 month to 6 month salary bonus for "Super" employees
(the latter being the 16 hours a day , 7 days a week guys). It seems to me
that salaries in the US are much higher (?).
My everyday working language is Mandarin (great reason to be in Taiwan) but
we write our docs in English - which is just as well as it's quite an effort
to learn how to write Mandarin - and then do translations into other
languages including Mandarin. All translations are done by native speakers.
The entertainment lifestyle is not nearly so droll as you say although if
you're the fresh air outdoorsy type then you could be left gasping
sometimes. If you are interested in knowing more about
living/working/studying in Taiwan, then please feel free to contact me off
list. ~John (johng -at- pagic -dot- net)