RE: System Requirements

Subject: RE: System Requirements
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "'Bonita White'" <bwhite -at- mr -dot- marconimed -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 10:09:12 -0400

Hallo:

Writing from a non-Mac, non-UNIX perspective:

PhotoShop is the most system-intensove programme there, by far.

Get 128MB minimum of RDRAM, if you can, otherwise 133MHz SDRAM. Get an
overclocked Celeron processor (you can clock them to 1GHz with cooling<g>)
or a PIII above 700MHz. Hard disk space is cheap, so get a 27GB HDD if it's
IDE. However, I recommend getting a SCSI subsystem, which comprises a 64-bit
PCI SCSI Card (80-pin) U2W or SCSI 3. If you can do that, a 10GB 10,000rpm
SCSI Hard Drive would be a good choice. If you are connecting to the NET via
a modem, spec an external one because they have a brain and don't rely on
the computer's main processor. Avoid Winmodems like the plague. I'd spec a
21-inch monitor with a good dot-pitch and as flat a screen as you can find.
Finally, pick your video card wisely. If you are ordering from a PC builder,
like Gateway or Dell, I recommend you order the PC without a video card. The
reason is, OEM video cards are purchased at a lower cost than a retail card
and the OEM cards frequently have lower RAMDACs and miss other features
found on the retail cards. Checkout Matrox for a top-notch 2D graphics card,
for PhotoShop.

Hope this helps.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com