re: FUN: We can sink battle ships

Subject: re: FUN: We can sink battle ships
From: "Christensen, Kent" <lkchris -at- sandia -dot- gov>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 09:19:47 -0600

First of all the subject line is misleading since the original message is
about aircraft carriers and not battleships!

Nevertheless you can see for yourself that the number of technical manuals
required is "a stack as high as the Washington Monument (555 feet)."
See http://www.cvn74.navy.mil/pages/facts/facts.htm
See also http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/factfile/ships/ship-cv.html

And the statement "... and have enough fuel and supplies to be out at sea
for six months" is at least partially incorrect. US nuclear aircraft
carriers (Nimitz class) are "capable of steaming more than one million miles
before refueling." For the Nimitz, this was about 25 years, considered
mid-life. Refueling for aircraft and other equipment is not the same, of
course.