RE: Project Costing

Subject: RE: Project Costing
From: "Philip Boyer" <pboyer -at- dimasys -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 09:32:07 -0500

"Gabrielle Isenbrand" wrote ...
> I need a general, order-of-magnitude idea for how much it would
> cost my company to hire a contract tech writer to create a manual
> for our product.

Andrew Plato responded:

"If you're lucky, you can find somebody who will do the whole thing for
under
$20K. But make sure to evaluate their skills and experience. One $20K
promise
can very quickly turn into a $90K disaster."

It has been my experience that $20K promises turn into $90K disasters at the
fault of the company, not the writer. Wholesale software changes, scope
creep, and important deadlines requiring lots of overtime that then become
meaningless. While these problems may not occur with an established product,
if the software is a work in progress, a company's demands and expectations
can often be unrealistic and a writer needs to cover his behind with
detailed notes as to why he is now costing the company $90K.

Philip Boyer