Re: PDFs and Online Documentation

Subject: Re: PDFs and Online Documentation
From: jennifer -at- metaware -dot- com (Jennifer Banks)
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 11:20:40 -0700 (PDT)

ekandl -at- unitechsys -dot- com (Erick Kandl) asked:

>> (1) What do you think of when you hear someone refer to "online
>> documentation"?

I think of electronic documentation, separate from online help, included
with the product distribution. (This is how we deliver our docs, and we
originally referred to them as online documentation.)

>> (2) Is referring to PDF files as "online documentation" appropriate?
>> If not, then what would you call that documentation?

We found that some customers were confused by the term -- they thought
it meant that the documentation was on our web site and not included in
the product.

To avoid this confusion, we now refer to our docs as "HTML documentation"
and "PDF documentation" (we ship both formats).

HTH,

- Jennifer Banks