RE: TW Trade Schools..Concensus so far

Subject: RE: TW Trade Schools..Concensus so far
From: "Kieffer, Barry" <Barry_Kieffer -at- adc -dot- com>
To: "'Johnny Brown'" <johnny_brown -at- hotbot -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 08:53:43 -0700

Barry replies, yea, I'll take a stab at it Johnny. When I was working at a
different company there was this woman who was a pretty good writer, but she
did not have any background in technical writing. She decided she wanted to
take a whack at technical writing, but the powers-that-be wanted her to take
some classes.

There is this college here in Portland, Portland Community College, where
you can get a writing certificate. In her case she only needed to take 4
10-week classes (12-credits), and all of them were offered online, and I
think she took all of them concurrently.

The result was that after 10-weeks - bam! She was a Technical Writer I.

The Point? Not everybody who takes a certificate class goes into the class
with zero knowledge. Some people take the certificate to prove what they
already know.

P.S. She proved to be a valuable asset to the company as a technical writer.

Regards,

Barry Kieffer
Senior Technical Writer
ADC Telecommunications
Portland, OR
503.350.6072
barry_kieffer -at- adc -dot- com

Johnny Brown wrote: <snip>
Well the concencus so far is these schools do not produce competent writers
and that the people who are churned out after 4-6 weeks are being
ripped-off.
Is there anyone out there who can defend their use? </snip>