Re: FWD: Looking for scientific/hardware writing opps

Subject: Re: FWD: Looking for scientific/hardware writing opps
From: Win Day <winday -at- home -dot- com>
To: anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 09:23:32 -0400

At 06:55 AM 5/14/00 -0600, anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com wrote:

Are there any freelance technical job opportunities for writers and
editors who specialize in topics other than computer hardware and
software? Are all freelancers and contract writers/editors now required to
have framemaker and robohelp as part of their software packages? Are there
any good resources or contract agencies who actively seek or hire persons
to do the "old" version of technical writing/editing such as talking about
scientific and laboratory, or medical and legal matters, descriptions of
aircraft engines, mechanical parts and machinery, and various kinds of
engineering systems that don't involve strictly computer languages?

Absolutely.

I have been freelancing as a technical writer for 8 years now. My computer-related writing has been extremely limited:

* one user manual, for a large, text-based, menu-driven application written in Lahey Fortran and running on RISC boxes (no Windows GUI here!)

* one pop-up What's This help system for a VERY small application (no manual, no integrated help, just the pop-up field-level stuff)

* some hardware and software installation and configuration procedures

Most of my writing has been things like:

* startup and shutdown guides for refineries, chemical plants, gas plants

* operating manuals for refineries, chemical plants, gas plants

* safety procedures
* engineering project reports (LOTS of those!)

* proposals and qualifications documents

* equipment specifications

* process design specifications

My degree is in chemical engineering and my engineering experience was with oil companies and engineering firms. So I bring a lot of familiarity with the subject matter to my contracts.

Right now I'm in the middle of writing part of an FDA submission for a new medical device. This is a completely new field for me. I'm responsible for the hardware manufacturing sections, though, so again my engineering experience has been an enormous help.

There is still a great deal of writing for non-computer subjects going on. In southern Ontario where I live, the automobile industry is a large contributor to the local economy. Many of the small suppliers are going through the ISO registration process, and hire writers to help them through it. This FDA submission is a lot like that -- the QSR requirements are very similar to ISO requirements.

Look for non-computer hardware manufacturers in various industries. Look for engineering companies. Look in industries where the legislation is changing. Look in high-tech industries like biotechnology and telecommunications. Last time I checked the classifieds in the Toronto Star, banks and insurance companies were looking for writers too.

Win
Win Day
Technical Writer

http://www.wordsplus.net