Re: Political Correctness (Was Re: Master/Slave)

Subject: Re: Political Correctness (Was Re: Master/Slave)
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- okvotech -dot- org>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 13:09:15 -0500

> Plainly and simplely, writers have to use the standard
> language of a field, no matter how "offensive" it may
> be outside of that field.

I agree. However, I thought the post you appear to be disagreeing with actually
said the same thing -- as TWs, it is our responsibility to examine the
terminology we use and determine how our readers will be affected by it. This
does not mean changing it on our own because we consider it "offensive" or
refusing to follow everyone else's change because we consider it "PC." If an
industry has stopped using a particular term, we should also stop using it. The
fact that "master/slave" is still in use doesn't mean it's a bad thing to check
every once in a while.

Tracy
Oklahoma Department of Vocational & Technical Education
Stillwater, Oklahoma http://www.okvotech.org/cimc
Give a hoot... read a book