Re: Political Correctness (Was Re: Master/Slave)

Subject: Re: Political Correctness (Was Re: Master/Slave)
From: "Elna Tymes" <etymes -at- lts -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 10:10:39 -0700

Aoidìn Scully wrote:

> I wonder... what's the likelihood that the majority of respondents who have
> objected to "PC crap" are white, middle-class males?
>
> Anyone in gamblin' mood?

Aoidin - you'd probably lose. Statistically, there are more women than men in
tech writing these days. So many, as a matter of fact, that it's becoming
another "pink collar ghetto" in some places.

As could probably be expected, there are at least two sides to the PC
question. One side wants to create documentation that doesn't offend - much
like one has to be careful of certain words or constructions in documents that
are going to be translated into other languages, and you have to steer clear of
verbal faux pas in the destination language. Another side contends that
English, as a swiftly evolving language, is simply reflecting a changing
societal attitude and that one needs to be aware of the shifts in usage. And
yet another side, wanting to remain purists, insist that there warn't nuthin'
wrong with the way their pappies used the terms "master" and "slave" so they're
gonna continue using the terms the way they're s'poze ta be used.And of course
there are other sides.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems